Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Decompression for the Soul

Having never experienced ocean or deap sea diving I've been told that returning to the surface must be a slow process to allow for the body to adjust to the change in pressure.
Returning to "life" I feel as though I am experiencing some sort of need to decompress my heart. My little house, or ti kay in Creole, was so little before and now seems more than enough. Walking into our only local superstore yesterday I felt totally overwhelmed by the abundance of food, clothing and items that help to make our life more fun or more fat or just more! Walking up and down the aisles I seemed to only see all that is so unnecessary yet so much that I certainly purchased just prior to this trip. My home here is shelter for my family from the cold, the heat, the weather, I have healthy drinking water at the turn of a faucet, hot water too if I want it! Somehow I think I must have been taking this all for granted because now I feel so more grateful, blessed and even more content for what I've been given.
Yesterday I purchased a few items to send back a little care package to one of our interpreters. I realized that all that I was buying were items of necessity such as toothpaste (she likes Colgate), soap (Irish Spring and Dove), shampoo, conditioner and a few other items. The basics we take for granted become gifts to them. My friend is 19 and going to college for administration. She wants to stay in Haiti to live and work and help her people. She has a heart that loves our Creator and desires to follow His lead in her life. She has no desire to leave and come to a land of plenty and ease.
I will continue to adjust and pray through all that my heart is feeling and the thoughts that fill my head as I spiritually return to the surface of "life" in the blessed and abundant USA.

1 comment:

  1. Love reading Sue ... Douglas Etten - Minocqua, Wisc.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts with me!