Saturday, April 3, 2010

Day One in Haiti

Wow! We are here! So far the biggest culture shock has been driving through Cap Haitien. The tour bus we came in on barely fit down the crowded streets filled with thousands of people selling everything and anything on the sides of the streets. Without a garbage system I can only say that no one could have prepared me for what we saw in the streets and in small water canals. We saw several fights over one person having a large bag of rice and others wanting what he had. The streets are not very smooth and the school bus we rode out of town was very loud and jolting. I cannot use words descriptive enough right now in my state of fatigue but suffice it to say that any adjective I am using please expand on it and maybe you will come close to what we saw!
We finally figured out how to put up our mosquito nets at least in the girls dorm so hopefully we'll be free of those little bugs. The guys haven't seen their sleeping quarters yet but will be a couple miles away, I've heard. We just finished our supper which was a tasty Haitian stew including very tasty plantains!
Dokte Maria is already been requested for medical help taking something out of a little orphan's foot. I will write more tomorrow, very excited to experience Easter here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with me!