Saturday, March 13, 2010

20 Days until we leave for Haiti

Our departure date is officially under 3 weeks away! Day one of the blog to journal this amazing priviledge and adventure I am on to go to Haiti and do what I can to help. I will share bits and pieces of my preparation in these next 20 days.

Right now we are trying to gather the 'right' clothes to wear meaning it must help me to survive the 90 degree high humidity weather yet be practical as I work in a makeshift clinic. The clothing I bring will be left behind-at least 90% of what I bring-so I am also trying to choose colors that reflect the beautiful culture and people who may be wearing what I leave behind.

I am also attempting to learn some Creole in order to not HAVE to depend on an interpreter for the entire time we are there as well as doing alot of reading about the history and culture of the Haitian people. We have our vaccinations on board and just have to get our anti-malaria pills which we will start a couple days before we leave.

Lastly attempting to prepare my heart for what I will see, for the people I will reach out to and for how I will be changed by this experience.

3 comments:

  1. Go SuAnne, I am proud of you and we, the family we be praying for you. God Bless you.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. SuAnne!! long time since we talked~ hope you remember me! What you are doing I'm sure will be lifechanging and it is very admirable as well. I'll be grateful to follow along via your blog.
    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Kara and YES I remember you! Thanks for following along with me!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts with me!